Study of exoplanets in a constellation
Simple image map
Improved image map
- Download GIMP portable and install it in your pendrive.
- Download your constellation map (name given by the teacher)
- Create your own image with layers, or add layers with images or drawings of exoplanets, stars, clusters, black holes, pulsars, galaxies, etc. Save as constellation.png
- Go to GIMP>Web>Image map. Create a map file using this tool. Save as constellation.map
- Open the constellation.map with Sublime Text. Replace alt= for title=. Write the correct name of the image file inside commas img src=”correctimagename.png”. Add <html> at the very beginning and </html> at the very end. Write extra information inside title about the sky objects, e.g. spectral type of stars, ESI of exoplanet, cluster type, distance in light years. Save it all as constellation.html.
- All file must be in the same folder: constellation.html and constellation.png in order to be opened easily with a browser.
- Use mapper.js library to improve image map
Exoplanet data analysis
Harvard Exoplanet Laboratory activities
- Take pictures with your Harvard Astronomy Laboratory account
- Analyse the data with astroimageJ http://www.astro.louisville.edu/software/astroimagej/
- Create correlation plots with exoplanet data
- Use the user name and password (do not change it) given to be used in the website of Laboratory of Exoplanets (University of Harvard).
- Simulate the transit orbit of an exoplanet in the modelling lab and change the size, the speed and the tilt angle of the exoplanet
- Create the transit orbit graph and write why it must be that way and save your graphs and comments in the Harvard intranet for teacher evaluation.
- Go to the telescope area and move the Arizona telescope to the available explanets and obtain your photographs.
- Choose the exoplanet and the conditions for photography (exposition times, etc)
- Go the image lab in the website after the photos are taken.
- Analyse the data from the photos and write your conclusions from your photos by using the available sofware (use only your own photographs, measure darkness level and substract it from the target star)
- Write your report online. You can improve the simplified model of Harvard by using the methods in R found in the scientific article of Proxima b or others.
- Create an image map of the constellation and draw using new SVG programming or HTML image map.
- The previous constellation must contain the main stars, the exoplanet and other objects (galaxies, nebulae, star clusters, black holes, pulsars, etc) with some information when the mouse is over and when the object is clicked.
The best way to predict the future is to invent it (Alan Kay)